What you can do
- Vacuum regularly, moving furniture and lifting
carpet runners, wall hangings and pictures.
- Treat any areas of damp and make sure
extractor fans are working effectively.
- Frequently disturb the dark, quiet corners of
- Inspect packages coming into your property,
particularly if you are not sure of their origin.
Crawling insect facts
- Most insects have wings, but others crawl instead.
Some insects that have wings predominantly
crawl anyway, such as cockroaches.
- Crawling insects can be regarded as pests if they:
bite or feed on humans
transfer pathogens (e.g. crawling through
waste and then across a kitchen worksurface)
damage food (such as biscuit weevils);
damage natural textiles (carpet beetles);
damage wooden structures and furniture
(such as woodworm)
transmit disease (e.g. body lice can pass
typhus between hosts)
- There are thousands of species of crawling insects!
They tend to be named after the thing they most
commonly cause damage to.
Book lice feed on the paste used in book
binding (but also algae and lichen on trees).
- We refer to a large group of crawling insects as
Stored Product Insects. These particularly affect
agriculture and manufacturing industries.
- Silverfish are amongst the most common crawling
insect pests in UK homes. They feed on anything that
contain polysaccharides (carpet, textiles, glue, hair,
- Crawling insects generally like to conceal themselves
in damp, dark and undisturbed places.
If you have a crawling insect infestation, we will...
- Identify the species and extent of the infestation.
- This will determine the course of treatment.
- If appropriate, our technicians will advise you on housekeeping and offer you a